2.3K views
1.4
Additional Fees
Number of Destinations

Gate 1 is horrible. They will lie just to get you to book.

Prior to booking an independent tour package, I asked several different agents about whether the time of train travel can be specified to a time of day (late afternoon vs. morning, for example) and each one of them assured me that yes, that's what they're going to do but the train tickets can't be booked until closer to the trip date so they will let me know later. So back in April I purchased a November trip to Italy, paid extra for more convenient flights, got information on the hotels, and let them note the preferred train time.

Of course, as soon as all the payments went through, they then tell me that there is only one schedule for the train, so it's not possible to pick a time of day after all. After many messages and conversations over the months, they keep promising to look into it ("I'll check with my supervisor"). Then starting in August they just stop talking to me about it altogether. Then today the travel documents came in and sure enough, trains are already scheduled and not the time of day I requested back in April at the original booking time. Called them again, now they definitively tell me they can't change anything since the travel document is final. Even after offering to pay a "change fee" like with flights, they won't do anything.

Looks like we're just going to have to buy our own train tickets after all. So after all these, we really might as well have just booked the entire thing ourselves. With the extra fees with the flights, it's already comparable to the price posted on the airline website. With more research, it looks like we could have gotten better and more centrally located hotels for cheaper. And now, we can't even use the train tickets that were supposed to be part of the package.

This is very, very far from a good deal, and in fact with all the nickel and dime-ing going on, we could have booked the entire thing for less money. And it's certainly not worth being lied to and being aggravated from having to change major travel plans less than a month from the trip.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Had an Experience with Gate1travel?

Comments

Gate1Travel

We are concerned by your comments and would like to have a supervisor reach out to you. In order to do so, we will need the relevant information. Please send these comments via email to service@gate1travel.com and include your reservation number and the best number to reach you and we will contact you as soon as possible.