Show reviews that mention
trip gate tour travel gate travel guide customer service hotel service gate1
Filter review

Incompetent regarding flight scheduling

Gate 1 is incompetent in flight scheduling. Orientation w tour manager for Japan will be @ 7pm but flight will arrive @ 11pm. We paid Gate 1 to do their basic job; Schedule flight time coordinates w tour orientation & not arrival in a forgien country @ night w no pick which we prepaid for the pickup.Gate 1 doesn't seem to rectify their mistake. Gate 1 keeps stalling stating they r working on it. It takes more than 2 wks to change a flight schedule. Avoid Gate 1 fr now on.
Gate1Travel

Hello, Please know hat without your booking information, it is difficult to comment about your arrival time. However, our system offers the options available at the time you book along with the best possible pricing. Should you still require assistance with getting this matter resolved, please don't hesitate to request a supervisor.

ID
Cons
  • Excuses

Verified Reviewer

Refused Refund of Hotel Charges

Gate 1 Travel is absolutely, positively the worst travel company for customer service. I booked an independent tour to Paris earlier this summer for my 70th Birthday. When we arrived at our hotel, the room was extremely warm. After dinner, upon returning to the room, the inside temperature was over 90 degrees. The Front Desk told me the air conditioning was not working. I asked for a fan and they gave me a space heater. I then decided to cancel the hotel reservation and leave the hotel prior to staying the first night. The hotel told me to contact Gate 1 for a refund and was fully aware we did not stay one night at the property because of the extreme heat with no air conditioning. We booked and paid for another hotel for our entire stay in Paris. Upon our return I contacted Gate 1 and requested a refund. I got no response. I contacted the Better Business Bureau for help. I then contacted the Gate 1 Service Vice President. She refused to discuss my issue because I had contacted the Better Business Bureau. She was rude, insulting and refused to discuss the issue. I wrote a certified letter to the Gate 1 Senior Vice President who refused to issue a refund as she claimed the hotel denied we left the property! She reported the hotel claimed we stayed the entire time!.She requested “Documentation to prove I did not stay at the hotel”. I sent her a copy of the bill from my alternative hotel. Upon receipt she refused the refund, again asking for “Documentation” before she would consider anything. Gate 1 Travel failed to meet their fiduciary responsibility as agent for this hotel. Traveling to a foreign country one expects some level of support from the travel agency that booked your complete trip. Gate 1 does not.

Why wouldn't you have contacted the emergency travel number in your travel documents?

Gate1Travel

Hello, We are sorry if you feel there is any lapse in service, however, we did contact the hotel multiple times on your behalf. As previously explained, they refute that anyone left the hotel due to the heat or issues with the air conditioning. As such, they have charged in full per the terms of your reservation.

@Gate1Travel

My original comments stand. The hotel checked us out and instructed us to contact Gate1.

I have provided you a receipt for charges I personally paid at my alternative hotel.

No one should ever trust your company to help if they have issues on foreign travel you provided. No ethics whatsoever.

View more comments (2)
Gate1travel Tour
Cons
  • Customer service problem resoulution
  • Every customer service action they take
Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy
Full refund

Horrible Customer Service

Gate 1 Travel is absolutely, positively the worst travel company for customer service. I booked an independent tour to Paris earlier this summer for my 70th Birthday. When we arrived at our hotel, the room was extremely warm. After dinner, upon returning to the room, the inside temperature was over 90 degrees. The Front Desk told me the air conditioning was not working. I asked for a fan and they gave me a space heater. I then decided to cancel the hotel reservation and leave the hotel prior to staying the first night. The hotel told me to contact Gate 1 for a refund and was fully aware we did not stay one night at the property because of the extreme heat with no air conditioning. We booked and paid for another hotel for our entire stay in Paris. Upon our return I contacted Gate 1 and requested a refund. I got no response. I contacted the Better Business Bureau for help. I then contacted the Gat 1 Service Vice President. She refused to discuss my issue because I had contacted the Better Business Bureau. She was rude, insulting and refused to discuss the issue. I wrote a certified letter to the Gate 1 Senior Vice President who refused to issue a refund as she claimed the hotel denied we left the property! Sh reported the hotel claimed we stayed the entire time!.She requested “Documentation to prove I did not stay at the hotel”. I sent her a copy of the bill from my alternative hotel. Upon receipt she refused the refund, again asking for “Documentation” before she would consider anything. Gate 1 Travel failed to meet their fiduciary responsibility as agent for this hotel. Traveling to a foreign country one expects some level of support from the travel agency that booked your complete trip. Gate 1 does not.
Gate1Travel

Hello, We are sorry if you feel there is any lapse in service. However, we did contact the hotel multiple times on your behalf.

As previously explained, they refute that anyone left the hotel due to the heat or that there were issues with the air conditioning. As such, they have charged in full per the terms of your reservation.

Canton, Georgia

Unkind Company

Update by user Aug 07, 2019

We booked a trip with Gate1 Travel so that we could visit our son who has been stationed in Asia for service in the US Navy. We paid a deposit for him in good faith, believing per his current orders that he would still be stationed there, but he was just sent back to the states on short notice.

Original review posted by user Aug 07, 2019
We booked a trip to visit our son who has been stationed in Asia for service in the US Navy. We paid a deposit for him in good faith, believing per his current orders that he would still be stationed there, but he was just sent back to the states on short notice. When we called Gate1 to request a credit on our invoice for just his portion of the trip, they refused. To have no flexibility for servicemen is not reasonable. He can't afford a flight to Asia, and we are already paying for the trip. Truly unkind and greedy.
#1731988

Upon review of your records it appears that our staff was able to offer assistance with a copy of your son's orders.

@Gate1Travel

The $300 amount was still listed on my final bill, but I did not include it with my final payment. It appears that you have accepted it.

The final bill also was increased about $600 hundred dollars more because triple occupancy was reduced to double occupancy. After much complaining and providing screen shots and evidence of the original cost of the trip that was ON SALE at the time of booking, that amount was also reduced to just a couple hundreds dollars above the original quote, reflecting the sale price.

Preferred solution
allow me to be credited for his deposit. I am paying in full for our portion of the trip.

Lousy tour guide.

We needed to travel from Regensburg to Prague Fly back to Paris. The bus driver had the bathroom locked so it was not available. I asked the bus driver to let me use the bathroom and they told me it was dirty. When I told him I don’t care he finally unlocked it and the bathroom was spotless. The lazy *** just didn’t want to have to clean the bathroom after a bus trip. I contacted gale on May 24 and as of June 30 have not received any response. That was our fifth trip with gate one and I seriously doubt that will be number six. Signed me disappointed customer
Gate1Travel

Hello, We sincerely apologize if you experienced any lapse in service with your bus driver. We do take our clients feedback very seriously and carefully evaluate the performance of every driver.

We do appreciate you sharing your feedback as it is an invaluable training tool. After reviewing your records, we do understand that one of our Customer Service agents have reached out to you in an effort to address your concerns.

James L
@Gate1Travel

Unacceptable response. You lost my wife and I and our 3 other traveling companions as customers.

Placentia, California
Gate1travel Customer Care

Love Gate 1

4.3
I am actually shocked to read all these negative reviews. I just booked my 12th trip with Gate 1, have recommended to many friends who have all loved as well. A lot of these complaints seem to be about losing deposits or not getting money for cancellation - this is pretty standard in the industry I think. I don’t buy insurance with Gate 1, but I do make sure I have really good insurance with my credit card, personal travel insurance through a couple providers as well. I actually won’t travel with any other company.
Gate1travel Customer Care
Good customer service

STAY HOME!

travelled to the former Yugoslavia for an abortion of a trip. People traveling were a mixture of stupid, rude or crude. Personal effects of minimal value vanished during brief trips on the bus. The local restaurants were a mixture of poor food or improper hygiene. There was a minimum of friction admittedly because certain alpha males or females...scroungy looking people.....kept cutting the lines. And everyone was too embarrassed to say anything.Do the right thing and check out non cutthroat tours...pay for the service and avoid people who belong more in a police lockup than a tour bus. also, the political situation there was horrendous: we had to go through more stupid checkpoints...some twice....than it was worth.I want you to know that I never give negative workups so this is fervent.

We will be going on our 7th Gate1 trip in August. They all have been sensational.

We will, as always, review all documents...as directed.

We will expect....the same excellent service that Gate1 always provides. lrjcicero2 Plymouth, Ma

Gate1Travel

Hello, We do regret to hear of your experience or if your tour was not up to your expectations. We do take our clients feedback very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. If you would like to share more details please do so by using the online form on our website.

Smithtown, New York

Standby air flight from Amsterdam to JFK Ne York on 4/30/2019

We had flight reservations #1525075. Upon check in airport we’re told to standby the KLM 645 back to JFK, NY due to airline over booked. This caused aggression to my aging husband and devastated to his health health. This situation should not happen to your loyal customer.
Gate1Travel

Hello, Certainly we regret any inconvenience you may have experienced with your flights as it seems your tickets were issued and confirmed correctly through Gate 1. If you have not already done so we would encourage you to initiate a claim with the airline.

3.7
My wife and myself took a tour with Gate 1 to Morocco in February, which I must say was very nicely organized. Where I have had an unpleasant experience with Gate 1 is in the booking of my flights thru Gate 1, and their refusal to address my issue. In booking our...
Gate1Travel

Hello, After reviewing your records, it appears the flight from Atlanta to Paris and the flight from Paris to Casablanca were in Premium Economy. The other flight segments were in Comfort Seating.

It all depends on how each aircraft is configured however none of the seats that you were in were classified as Economy. As advised, should you still feel that you did not get what you paid for, our recommedation is to file a claim with the airline directly.

Gate1travel Flight Booking
Pros
  • Well organized tours
Cons
  • Customer service problem resoulution
Let the company propose a solution

Phillips island penguin expert in Australia

3.3
Gate one cheaped our Phillps Island Penguin tour and put 5 of us on a tour with another group. Problem: bus was extremely uncomfortable Seats as hard as a rock. No leg room. I’m 5’3” and my legs hit the back of the seat. Bus had terrible suspension bounced all over. This was not up to the high quality of their other tours. Don’t bother to book it. If Gate one puts you with another tour group be cautious.
Gate1Travel

Hello, We do regret if your tour was not up to your expectations or if you felt the bus was not suitable. We do take our clients feedback very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

Bed bugs

Update by user May 18, 2019

Someone wrote that I was getting a refund for my stay at the Park hotel never received anything. Gate1 notified me that no one was aware of my situation I said it was our last night and we left at 1am. They said the hotel checked and there was no evidence of bed bugs

Original review posted by user Apr 18, 2019
We traveled with Gate1, we stayed at a hotel on Lake Bled for two nights I felt like something was bitting me during the night woke up with clusters of redness and itching on my stomach and leg. Notified Gate 1 because hoping I did not bring them home as it was our last hotel stop before leaving for home. Was never that impressed with most of the hotels Gate1 uses.

As of May 14th I have not received a refund. Please advise

Gate1Travel

Hello, We do regret if you were disappointed with your accommodations. We do take our clients feedback very seriously and as we share your disappointment and frustration, it appears that we were able to secure a refund for your stay at the hotel. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

Gate1travel Vacation Package
Pros
  • Our tour guide was excellent
Cons
  • Did not like some of the hotels not centrally located

Most disappointed

I booked a tour last year and was very happy. I decided to book book your Kladescope of Morocco tour, and paid for ii. Reservation1595005 -11,departing 19th April. I was really looking forward to the tour. Unfortunately had a small accident ,scraping my shin. All was Ok then 10 days ago developed a bad unexpected blood clot . I am unable to fly and contacted Gate 1, offered a doctor's certificate if required. And said i would be rebooking when able to fly . Have now found out i am getting 10% refund on my booking. I did numerous bookings , hotel flights etc all are refunding complete booking amounts or taking a very small cancellation fee except your company. Was told to approach my travel insurance company by your office. .To say i am disappointed at Gate1 is an understatement, i unfortunately recommended your company to friends after last year's trip., won't be again. Please reconsider ,under these extenuating circumstances ., as i was happy to rebook when i could fly again. Customer nunber#/9118418 Margaret L. Please reply to this email
Gate1Travel

Hello, We are sorry to hear that you were not able to travel with us. Please kindly note that our cancellation policies are dictated by pre-negotiated vendor agreements.

This is one of the reasons we strongly encourage clients to purchase travel protection. Your situation is a good example of where it could come in handy.

Per your last communication with our office you indicated you would submit a claim with your travel insurance and would follow up if needed. While it seems our staff was helpful addressing your situation, we regret if you felt that was not the case.

Gate1travel Tour Booking
Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy

Nightmare Review Readings

Due to reading good and bad reviews for Gate 1, I have chose not to use this company for my travels. The bad reviews far outweigh the good ones. They seem to offer less than adequate customer service and resolutions. Not sure how they have been able to sustain their company for this many years, other than I heard of this company through Groupon. What they offer in black and white All Inclusive vacations is a far cry from the horrific events told in these reviews.
Gate1Travel

Hello, Many comments are posted before the passenger has received a response and unfortunately the original comment remains posted, which gives an undeservedly poor reflection.However, when searching reviews on a site called, "Pissed Consumer" it may be the case that you will find more negative reviews. Of course we always hope consumers will do their research before making their final assessment.

As you may know, Gate 1 Travel is over 30 years old. Our yearly growth and return passenger percentage are testament to our fine services and excellent reputation.

I have been on several Gate 1 tours. For the most part the tours are a good value for the money.

The hotels have been nice and the majority centrally located. Many of the bad reviews come from issues with airlines that Gate 1 has really no control over. Sure, I have had some minor issues, and some tours I didn't gel with the Tour Director and/or some of the tour participants. My advice is to read the itinerary very closely and also look over your choice of flights if including flights with the land purchase.

There are always alternative flights then just the one that first comes up. The price quoted is from that departure city and double occupancy. If you add your city and/or go single the price is going to be more.

The best thing about the tours if I need free time to get away from the "group" thing, there is always free time. Also if you are not the type that does not like to get up early and/or drive sometimes for long periods of time, an escorted tour is not for you.

ID
Cons
  • Information supplied
Not as described/ advertised
Let the company propose a solution
1.6
TO PROSPECTIVE GATE1 TRAVEL CLIENTS: Herewith is a lengthy review of our (my wife and I) last September’s (2018) Gate 1 travel package experience. This review has taken a long time to generate because of the dispute that ensued between Gate1 and usI. First, let me say...

I agree with the other comment. I would never drive in a foreign country, at my younger age.

Gate 1 has no control over the flights. The price is always higher if you change the departing city. I have been on 16 Gate 1 trips, so I kind of know what I am talking about. The only issue I think that is legitimate is the cancellation of your car rental reservation.

However, there seems to be something missing from your story. It doesn't make sense and details don't add up. As retired doctors, why didn't you dispute the $100 on your credit card.

Certainly, you know you could do this? Again, details don't add up.

View more comments
ID
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional (Santo Domingo)
Gate1travel Vacation Package
Cons
  • Read my review
$2000
Full refund

Morocco Kaleidoscope Tour

Mid February 2019 A totally wonderful experience beginning to end. Customer service greatly helpful. Tons of help with luggage throughout. One decent hotel (Ibis), the others very nice. Avoid Novotel bar. Fabulous guide (ask for Khalid) with an enormous range of knowledge of the country and its history. Comfy bus with great driver. Morocco is a shopper's delight. We took all the optional tours and glad we did. Dress for cool to somewhat cold weather. Loved La Menora restaurant in Rabat. US dollars hard to use in most places. Use credit card or durhams. Would definitely use Gate 1 again.
Gate1Travel 13 Day Kaleidoscope Of Morocco Tour