Just want to share a recent experience with Gate 1 tours, whom we loved until now: We were recently on their tour of India and Nepal.While there, we were taken to stores as usual.

In India, we bought a few pieces of jewelry with stones "from India" (which may be true), with the assurances from the guide that this was a "gate 1 guaranteed store" and that he had "secured at 15% discount for us". All sounded good at the time. However, as we were coming back through NYC and had 1 day there, I decided to have the jewels appraised for insurance purposes. To my dismay, I was told the jewels were worth 1/3 of what I paid!

Other pieces I bought over the years in Jamaica, Mexico and Thailand had all stayed the same or increased in value. When I complained to Gate 1, they were very defensive, and ended up saying that this would be discussed with the guide, and basically washed their hands of it, although the guide was obviously in on it: he pushed us hard to buy and we're now convinced was in on the scam, because he used the same technique in a couple subsequent stores.

Needless to say, if that is not bad enough for Gate 1 to fire the guide and black-list the store, I don't feel safe trusting they have my interest at heart anymore.So Bye Bye Gate 1, I'll look for another Tour Group...

Review about: Gate1travel Tour Guide.

Had an Experience with Gate1travel?

Comments